Monday, September 6, 2010

Dare to Dance?


I have been trying to come up with a name for my blog all weekend.  I spent a lot of time thinking back to the summer of 2007.  I wanted to try and remember how I felt and what I expected college to be like my freshman year.  College was just the next step to take.  I wanted to be successful and get a good job so I applied to a few different universities.
My High School Dance Team
after we won Grand Champs and finally beat our rivals my senior year.
I have danced my entire life and that was about the only thing that I felt confident doing.  Whether I was taking a class, teaching a class, or competing in front of judges- that was the only time that I knew everything was right.  I planned on attending Sacred Heart University and dancing on their dance team. Unfortunately, things didn’t go as planned and I ended up coming to Southern Connecticut State University.  That is when I decided that I was done with dance.  I couldn’t imagine being at a school- away from my best friends and dance team and still dancing?! I felt like I would be cheating on them.  Childish- I know. 
My High School Dance Team 
I started new.  I got involved in different clubs and organizations.  I learned how to write a college paper, study for an exam, and take advantage of all the different workshops available.  All these new experiences shaped me into who I am today.  I am proud to say that I have switched my major 12 million different times and have finally found what I want to do with my life. 
I look at life a lot differently now.  I use to always tell people that I “gave up dance once I came to college.”  Now I look at it as I just learned a new dance here at Southern.  Things are going to change, you will meet people that come into your life to stay and others that are just here to share a short dance with you.  Whatever it may be, learn from that experience.  My past few years at Southern have helped me realize that I am simply Dancing Through Life.  I am learning what dances work for me and what ones don’t.  If I mess up or stumble out of a turn, I learn from that and try to improve it.  Now I have to ask you—Dare to Dance?
Image from Google Images
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass—It is about dancing in the rain”

1 comment:

  1. I love the name for this blog. Dancing is very important to me as well and I feel like you can express yourself through it.

    ReplyDelete